Thursday, February 19, 2009

365 Days Of No Post! - What Have I Been Doing?

How time flies? I couldn’t believe it that I have not really had the chance of making even a single post here in the last 365 days. 

My first reaction upon this discovery was to reflect on what had actually kept me from my blog entries in the last twelve months, have I lost interest or is it that I have nothing to blog about? The followings are what I came up with…

 A Very Limited Time

I spend a chunk of my time on my 8 to 5 day job. I usually wake by 4:30am and leave my house for office by 5:45am. I might not get to the office until 7: 20am or 7:40am or later depending on the traffic situation on the road. I then go through the usual routines in the office till 5:30pm or 6:00pm or past depending on whether I have urgent job to complete before I could go home.

Going home is the most dreadful part of my typical day because I would spend about 3 hours or more on the road. How long I stay on the road is usually determine by the traffics situation.

 Darkness is another thing I contend with at home on a daily basis due to incessant power outage which could be on for days; generators with their attending nauseating noise have become our major source of power. Hardly would I spend another three hours at home before I surrender to the cold hands of sleep!

A Shift Of Interest In My Career

I am an insurer by profession, but in the last few years I have developed so much interest in computers and the internet that I am really considering a career change. My co-workers usually call me to help do one or two things with their PCs whenever there are problems. I also pick interest in Web design that I spent most of my time last two years buying web design books from Amazon and I have spent almost my free time including weekends in year 2008 learning web design through the pages of those books I bought from my Amazon Store. Hopefully, I might publish here my review of the books and maybe links to sites I build as a result of the knowledge I gained from my self-taught skills in web designing.

Environmental Challenges

Like the traffics and incessant power outage I mentioned earlier on; internet accessible is also a little bit of an issue especially in months that I have more financial constrains. Often times, I might not be able to spend more than two or three hours on the internet and I normally used this time in last one year to get tons of free resources and paid information on web design and online marketing . I really want to have a feel of how I could market my knowledge and experience when I eventually kiss my day job goodbye!

Finally, I will be glad to receive your comments on how you think I could tackle these challenges differently or what you would have done if you happen to find yourself in my typical environment.

No comments: